Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Of rainy days

I was walking my way to work and when it was about to rain. Not just the typical afternoon showers but it was this gigantic, monstrous, end-of-the-world kind of rain. The clouds are so dense with water vapor that it seems as if the mothership from Independence Day are coming to consume all lifeforms on Earth.


It seems that I'm going towards Mount Doom


I was just enjoying the sights, sounds and smell of the impending rain. I was so suitably impressed that I took a picture of it to keep, and that's the picture you see above. Believe me, it's much worse when you're actually there because it seems that the darkness is about to touch and consume you.

However, since I vowed to myself never to be delayed by rain or shine, I just marched on.

Isn't the stock market the same? There's this big impending cloud of doom creating an overcast in the global market, seemingly about to consume it all. I've read an article yesterday saying there we should liquidate all the stocks that we have and buy gold. I do not dispute that, but I think we ought to be careful not to over-react to both market extremes. In good times, be a little bearish and hold on to your purchases. In bad time, be a little bullish and buy a little at suitable levels. Most importantly, do not let the market determine your mood.

It was 2 hours later after I left that area. It didn't rain at all.

17 comments :

AK71 said...

Hi LP,

We should all own some gold. :)

http://singaporeanstocksinvestor.blogspot.com/2010/05/gold-at-us1210-ounce.html

PanzerGrenadier said...

Hi LP

Where is your "preciousssssss"? :-)

LOTR rocks!

Be well and prosper.

Anonymous said...

"He is like a man building a house, who dug and went deep, and laid a foundation on the rock. When a flood arose, the stream broke against that house, and could not shake it, because it was founded on the rock."

Shalom,
hh

la papillion said...

Hi AK,

Ya, I've read your post before :) I don't have enough assets to diversify into gold, so perhaps have to buy commodities shares or just paper gold :)

la papillion said...

Hi PG,

Preciousssss not around :) haha, yea, LOTR rocks :) I wish there's an epic fantasy film like this that spreads over 3 long episodes :)

That'll be something to wait for :)

la papillion said...

Hi HH,

Hmm, sounds like my civil engineering course. Tall buildings are built on bed rock so that the weight can be supported by the strong foundation. The long H-piles are hammered all the way into bedrock, even if it means wielding them pieces by pieces :)

Ee Chuan said...

Hi LP

I recall there are Japanese Anime that is into fantasy genre, pretty much D&D or LOTR style. Learning Japanese to access manga, anime is one of my "someday" dreams. :-)

la papillion said...

Hi Ee Chuan,

Thanks for visiting :) Why not make that 'someday' today? Seize the day :)

Good luck!

TheOracle said...

But be extremist but if I see the dark clouds, I'll bring an umbrella; JUST in case.

So if one is holding not 'long-term', one should have a cut-loss level. If one is trading the economic cycle, just walk in the rain, it's opportunity time! :)

Alvin said...

I agree with you LP. We should just be a little bullish now :)

la papillion said...

Hi TheOracle,

I always bring an umbrella with me when I go out ;)

Thanks for your comments :)

la papillion said...

Hi Alvin,

Haha, I started biting some already, just in case we didn't crash and burn.. :)

Sanye ◎ 三页 said...

yap, threw some money into the market today. :)

Createwealth8888 said...

I burnt some money on SubMarine. LOL

la papillion said...

Hi sanye and bro8888,

Haha, hold on to your rollercoater...rough ride ahead

Sanye ◎ 三页 said...

Hi LP,

I am going in slowly. Btw have you bought back your Noble?

la papillion said...

Hi sanye,

Nope, I haven't buy more yet. In light of the current selldown, there might be better and more promising ones, so I might have to put noble on hold first.

I treat my portfolio holistically, so as long as everything makes money it'll be good :)